Jan 2, 2011

Resolutions and Introductions

As most people who know me can attest, I am a cynic at heart.  Although like any true pessimist I maintain that I am in fact a realist, although the truth is that I see the glass as half empty.  All this to say that I hate new year's resolutions.  I think the idea of making promises to change, that in all likelihood are empty promises, that are made simply in the spirit of the celebration, are shallow and cheap.  Why do we need a new year to make a change?  If a change is truly something we desire and is so important why wouldn't one make that change immediately to improve your health, your self, your quality of life or whatever the case may be.  I like to be a person of action and if I see something that could be done differently or better then I want to go ahead and do something about it.

But as much as I hate to give in to a silly cultural tradition the fact of the matter is that there is something to the idea of a new year that lends itself to a fresh start. To a new beginning.  A chance to look forward to new attempts at things we have failed at before.  I hope that 2011 will hold for me some closure.  An opportunity to process and come to terms with so many of the things that have burdened me over the last 4 years, or 27 really if I'm honest I suppose.  There is so much that has been left by the wayside of a very busy life, waiting to be revisited and addressed.  Now I have had time to breath and am prepared to go back and slowly sift through all that requires attention in order to learn from, to grow from, to heal from and to move on from.  Part of that is where the idea of blogging comes in.  I was actually inspired to the idea by my husband.  Maybe by using this tool we can somehow "examine" all that we've experienced and through that find each other once again.

So here's to a new year, a new beginning.  To a year of restoration, of healing, of growth and new beginnings.  Salute.

(Don't get me wrong though, I'm still going to be super annoyed by the crowds at the gym, eagerly looking forward to February when the well-intentioned resolutioners get back to their normal pre-new year routines not to mention those incessant diet commercials!)

No comments:

Post a Comment